Monday, November 02, 2015

Album Review: The Cox Family- Gone Like the Cotton


I didn’t know the remarkable backstory of the Cox Family’s Gone Like the Cotton when I first played the new release.  Instead of marveling at the convoluted origin of the project, I wondered why I hadn’t heard anything from the excellent band in almost 20 years.  It’s a sad story.  Anyone who longs for the unassuming nature of Alison Krauss’ pre-stardom sound will be smitten by Gone Like the Cotton.


---
I reviewed David Cook’s Digital Vein for KCUR.

---
I wrote an extended preview about Emily King for Ink magazine.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
The Jorge Arana Trio created a video for “Crime of Passion Fruit.”

---
Carlos Henriquez might be my favorite member of Wynton Marsalis’ Jazz at Lincoln Center big band.  The Bronx Pyramid, the bassist’s debut album, is terrific.  RIYL: Eddie Palmieri, bass solos, the Spanish Harlem Orchestra.

---
John Ellis and Double-Wide’s Charm is a party.  RIYL: Los Hombres Calientes, New Orleans, Donald Harrison.

---
John Blevins’ Matterhorn is RIYL: Snarky Puppy, band nerds, Dave Douglas.

---
Danny Grissett’s The In-Between is RIYL: straight-ahead jazz, Kenny Barron, tasteful tedium.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: