Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Chee-Chee-Chee, Lay-Lay-Lay

A familiar refrain greeted me at a subway station on my first day in Chile two weeks ago.  Greg Kihn’s "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)" blasted from the in-house sound system.

Por que?

I often felt as if I had returned to 1983 during my ten-day trip to Chile.  Here’s a representative sampling of English-language hits I heard in public places: Van Halen’s “Jump,” the Police’s “Message In a Bottle,” Kenny Loggins’ “Meet Me Half Way,” Blind Melon’s “No Rain” and the Eagles’ “Hotel California” (three times).

Por que?

I encountered street performer earning tips by recreating the repertoire of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Por que?

Pitbull seems to be the most popular contemporary artist in Chile.  I also heard current pop hits by the likes of Daddy Yankee and Enrique Iglesias.  I heard salsa on a bus for a few glorious minutes.  I never encountered the music of famous Chilean folk artists like Inti-Illimani and Victor Jara.

Por que?

I knew that metal was big throughout Latin America.  Sure enough, I saw plenty of men wearing Pantera, Iron Maiden and Metallica t-shirts.  Even so, the first television commercial to air at the conclusion of an important soccer game promoted a concert by the British rock band Blur at a 15,000-seat arena.

Por que?

It’s obviously not my place to tell Chileans that they should be listening to Ana Tijoux or Violeta Parra.  Instead, I’ll merely regret missing a performance by Kumbia Queers.



(Original images by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

bigsteveno said...

Welcome back. You probably heard that Ornette died, but at this point your blog probably doesn't need to remind anyone about it. He was more famous than I realized.

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks, Steve. In 2006, I praised the OC album that changed the way I experience music: http://therestandstheglass.blogspot.com/2006/07/ornette-coleman-feet-music.html

bigsteveno said...

In All Languages totally rules.