Monday, January 19, 2015

Album Review: Mark Ronson- Uptown Special


When What Up, Dog? was released in 1988, I was employed at a record store.  Many of my colleagues and customers lost their minds over the high-concept collision of soul and rock orchestrated by Don Was of Was (Not Was).  I didn’t appreciate it quite as much as most listeners.  In Uptown Special, however, I hear everything people claimed to love about What Up, Dog?.  Mark Ronson’s mind-bending combination of pop, rock, hip-hop and R&B is elevated by outstanding features from Bruno Mars, novelist Michael Chabon, Mystikal, Steve Wonder and a dude from Tame Impala. The project tops the best work of Don Was. ”Feel Right” is my favorite track. 



---
I reviewed a concert by Earl Klugh.


---
I reviewed a concert by the Black Lillies.


---
I document the latest live and recorded work of the Paul Shinn Trio at Plastic Sax.  


---
Kim Fowley has died


---
A$AP Yams has died.


---
Kansas City’s She’s a Keeper has released Westside Local.


---
Swamp Dogg’s fine The White Man Made Me Do It came out a couple months ago, but it came to my attention only recently.  RIYL: Barrence Whitfield, music by music geeks, Sly Stone.


---
Justin Townes Earle writes good songs, but I can’t tolerate the flat production on Absent Fathers.  RIYL: Lyle Lovett, psychotherapy, Jason Isbell.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Gary said...

Michael Chabon?! mmmmkay...

Happy In Bag said...

Lyrics.