Monday, January 06, 2014

Album Review: Bruce Springsteen- HIgh Hopes





































I introduced my friend J. to alcohol and Bruce Springsteen when we were juniors in high school.  J. could never get his fill of booze or Bruce after that fateful year.  He caught Springsteen over two dozen times as he drank himself to death.

We imbibed before a 1981 concert in support of The River at Kemper Arena, the first time either of us saw Springsteen perform.  The River was among the handful of Springsteen CDs I delivered to J. while he was on his deathbed three years ago. 

J. would have loved his hero's new album High Hopes.  "Harry's Place" is far too melodramatic and polished for my tastes, but I'm pretty sure it would have been J.'s favorite track.  It's easy for me to imagine J. singing along while pouring himself another cocktail. 

Listening to High Hopes objectively is extremely difficult, but it's almost certainly my favorite Springsteen album since 2002's The Rising.  The fresh versions of "American Skin (41 Shots)" and "The Ghost of Tom Joad" are excellent.  I like Tom Morello's contributions.  And- are you serious!- Springsteen covers songs by The Saints and Suicide.

"Got a special sin, mister, you can't quite confess," Springsteen groans on "Harry's Place." 

Well, J., this untoward confession will have to do for now.  I take responsibility for my role in killing you. 


---
The Deli published a list of my ten favorite locally-released albums of 2013.

---
Beama's Growing Pains is RIYL: Rich the Factor, thug life, Berner.

---
Stik Figa raps over Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever."

---
Kyle James' Finally Off Papers is RIYL: marijuana, molly, pills.

---
The video for Sauce Remix's "Gunshots" is tough to watch.  (Via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
I almost fell out of my seat at the Folly Theater in November when Kenny Barron mentioned that his former employer Yusef Lateef was still alive.  I had no idea.  Lateef died on December 23 at the age of 93.

---
I have yet to process the death of Phil Everly.

---
Jazz trumpeter Al Porcino has died.

---
Jaimeo Brown's Transcendence was one of my year-end discoveries.  RIYL: Don Cherry, high concept, Charlie Haden.

---
The Marc Cary Focus Trio's Four Directions is refreshing.  RIYL: pre-fame Robert Glasper, relevant piano trios, Herbie Hancock.

---
Texas Monthly's lengthy profile of Guy Clark is worthwhile.  (Tip via There Stands the Glass reader Tom.)

---
I appreciate Hopsin's Knock Madness in spite of myself.  RIYL: Eminem, constant references to genitalia, Tech N9ne.

---
Drew Williams' Live at Pianos is RIYL: Gil Evans, brainy jazz, Matt Otto.

---
Joe Boyd is featured in a "What's In My Bag" segment.  His picks, not surprisingly, are great.

---
Anyone who appreciates the early solo work of T Bone Burnett will adore Cass McCombs' "Big Wheel".

---
I can't wait to hear Sabougla Voices, a wild-and-wooly effort by blues man Leo Welch.  RIYL: R.L. Burnside, old men, John Lee Hooker.

---
Snoop is back! 7 Days of Funk is the shiznit.  RIYL: Doggystyle, pre-laughingstock Snoop, Tha Doggfather.

---
I started a Spotify "radio station" based on the Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb On Me" in the hopes that it would serve as a genial soundtrack for the low-key New Year's Eve celebration at my compound.  It turned out to be a stroke of genius.  The robot-generated playlist featured the likes of Barry White, Cheryl Lynn, Ice Cube, Heat Wave, LL Cool J, Newcleus and even Wham.  The multi-generational revelers were delighted. 

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bigsteveno said...

No surprise that Joe Boyd would be both very cool and like just a guy you could chat with. His memoir White Bicycles is really great. And put my absolute favorite Gilberto Gil record in his bag -- Soy Loco Por Ti America!

Happy In Bag said...

I saw that you commented at a Facebook post in which someone asked who people would most like to see perform in Kansas City this year. I also dream in Portuguese. I've never seen Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Ivan Lins or Milton Nascimento.