Saturday, November 16, 2013

Album Review: M.I.A.- Matangi


I've been waiting for Matangi for most of my life.  The concept of "The Music of Tomorrow" has always fascinated me.  But now that it's finally arrived in the form of M.I.A.'s fourth album, I find myself a bit nonplussed.  Her vaguely militant "Life During Wartime"-style stance and synthesis of world pop is meant to be experienced communally.  Listening to Matangi on headphones is all wrong.  Songs like "Attention" need to be felt in a nightclub or concert hall.  Until I locate a willing DJ, I'll have NME's video feature on M.I.A. on repeat.


---
In spite of the (deservedly) negative tone of my review, I actually enjoyed last night's concert featuring 2 Chainz, Tech N9ne, Juicy J, Tyga, Rocko and Kidd Kidd. 

---
I reviewed Karrin Allyson's new Yuletide Hideaway album at Plastic Sax.

---
Reach and Reggie B are featured on "Wrong Girl", a track on Marco Polo's star-laden PA2: The Director's Cut album.

---
Here's a video for Approach's "Of a 1,000".  RIYL: 785, wordplay, grainy black-and-white film.

---
Evalyn Awake's new single "Red" is RIYL: Chevelle, Trivium, Rev Theory.

---
Danny Alexander's essay about attending a recent Del Lords concert is excellent.

---
Hey, anyone remember Vinx?  The one-time area resident released Love Never Comes Too Late in April.  RIYL: Seal, Oleta Adams, John Legend.

---
The video for Bruce Springsteen's "Dream Baby Dream" is nice.  RIYL: slow motion, Suicide, arena rock.

---
The Gospel According to Sam, a compilation of homemade 1963 recordings of Mississippi bluesman Sam Langhorn, was released this week.  RIYL: John Hurt, tape hiss, Furry Lewis.

---
John Legend's new album Love in the Future is excellent.  RIYL: Stevie Wonder, luxury brands, Donny Hathaway.

---
Here's 17 minutes of Gary Burton and Julian Lage performing in the NPR offices. So good.

---
Death Grips has released a free new album.  RIYL: end times, dub, Anonymous.

---
Hearing the Biggie remix of Lorde's "Royals" sandwiched between Chris Brown and Drake on the radio makes me giddy.

---
Phil, a loyal reader of There Stands the Glass, recommends the Blues Unlimited podcast.

---
The video for Mick Turner's "The Bird Catcher" is messed up.  RIYL: the actress Karen Black (really!), the Dirty Three, nightmares.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: