Saturday, December 15, 2012

Ravi Shankar, 1920-2012


I'd be lying if I suggested that the music of Ravi Shankar provided me with a spiritual awakening.  Yet his very existence played a vital role in my development as a listener.  Learning about the classical music of India via Shankar's celebrity was a genuine revelation.   Through Shankar I first became aware of a musical universe beyond the radio and Soul Train.   Or as Sun Ra put it, "There Are Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)".  Shankar died earlier this week.


---
Here's the latest- and possibly the last- recording by the Natural State.  RIYL: Mumford & Sons, Emmylou Harris, First Aid Kit.

---
Man Bear's free new Infinity Cat EP is RIYL Big Star, Teenage Fanclub.

---
Bittersweet- listen to "Kevin Walsh working at Hitt Records on Christmas Eve".

---
I'd held off finalizing my year-end album list until I heard The Game's Jesus Piece.  I needn't have waited.  It's a bitter disappointment.

---
2 Chainz has arrived.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: