Friday, November 30, 2012

Review: Graham Parker & the Rumour- Three Chords Good






































What's the opposite of nostalgia?  Antonyms for the word- they include forgetfulness, pragmatic and unromantic- don't really convey my tepid reaction to the reunion of Graham Parker and the Rumour on the new album Three Chords Good.  It's their first collaboration since 1980's The Up Escalator.

The profound experiences I associate with 1979's Squeezing Out Sparks mean so much to me that I hope to never hear the recording again.  I've spent years trying to work through the things I went through as the album sat on my turntable.  Although Sparks is like kryptonite to me, I've kept tabs on Parker's career and have purchased physical copies of at least a dozen of his albums.  Even so, I've been over Parker for years.  It's not him- it's me.  As I became more interested in hip hop, jazz and metal, Parker's angry blue-eyed soul became less relevant to me. 

In spite of my misgivings, I felt obligated to give Three Chords Good a fair shake.  Two things immediately struck me. Parker's soulful snarl has lost none of its bite.  He sounds fantastic.  And The Rumour, not surprisingly, remain a first-rate pub rock band.  The new album even features a few welcome jazz-tinged moments.  By finding the sweet spot between Creedence Clearwater Revival and Sam Cooke, the title track captures much of what makes the tandem great.  Even so, I'm just not feeling it.  It doesn't help that Three Chords Good's last three tracks are unbearably shrill.  Even if I agree with the sentiments, I really don't want to hear a reproductive rights song titled "Coathangers," a protest song about the "Last Bookstore in Town" or the anti-war screed "Arlington's Busy." 

If I had a chance to catch the current reunion tour, I'd buy a copy of Three Chords Good just to so I could frame an autographed copy of my favorite album cover of the year.  Thanks for the memories, Graham.  You'll have to carry on without me.


---
I reviewed Megadeth's appearance Wednesday at the Midland.

---
Mickey Baker has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
Steddy P was interviewed on KJHK.

---
Here's another new video from Kansas City hardcore band Conflicts.

---
Team the Best Team is the title of a new documentary about the Doomtree collective.

---
Lew Prince of Vintage Vinyl met with Barack Obama and testified to Congress earlier this week.

---
Of all the screwball schemes I've encountered, the Zappa estate's Roxy By Proxy proposal takes the cake.

---
Making Dollars: Clearing Up Spotify Payment Confusion is essential reading for anyone interested in the finances of online streaming.

---
Dag- I almost forgot about Grieves.

---
My discovery of the week is Googoosh.

---
I submitted my year-end top ten list to the powers-that-be.  You can't tell me that a selection from my top pick isn't a worthy update of "Bennie and the Jets."

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

billy budapest said...

HiB, you nailed it again! It's rare for me to actually drag a folder into the trash - it's easier to just leave it in the library - but this album was a rare exception. After one listen it was g-o-n-e. Thankfully. Mercifully. Forevermore. Adios Graham, and take The Rumour with ya when you go.

Happy In Bag said...

It's a cryin' shame, Billy. Thanks for the confirmation.

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.