Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Lionel Loueke- Heritage














As a nascent jazz fan in the pre-internet era, I purchased Wayne Shorter's 1974 album Native Dancer a few years after its release.  I'd hoped for experimental noise. Boy, was I ever disappointed!  An angry teenager, I wasn't receptive to the subtlety and beauty forged by Shorter and Milton Nascimento.  My tastes have since expanded.  I now embrace Native Dancer.  I also know enough about fusions of world musics to pronounce Lionel Loueke's new album Heritage as this decade's equivalent of the classic Native Dancer.    At once meditative and startling, Heritage is an essential album.  An EPK includes commentary from co-producer Robert Glasper.


---
My notes on the 2012 edition of the Prairie Village Jazz Festival are posted at Plastic Sax.

---
Dorothy McGuire of the McGuire Sisters has died.

---
A couple of my musical worlds collided when Enter Shikari covered "Call Me Maybe."  (Alas, it's not very good.)

---
Why, of course I watched MTV's VMA Awards!  Frank Ocean and Green Day gave the only two worthwhile performances.  A soggy rendition of Alicia Keys' atrocious new single was a bitter disappointment.

---
There Stands the Glass reader P.F. shared the interesting backstory of "Nancy (With the Laughing Face)" with me over the weekend.

---
Kansas City Click: Bassist Ben Leifer of Diverse hosts Monday's jam session at the Blue Room.

Negative Approach is at the RecordBar on Tuesday.

The Riot Room plays host to Heartless Bastards on Wednesday.

Slim Cessna's Auto Club stops at Davey's on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Rick in PV said...

As a big Weather Report fan, I had much the same evolving relationship with "Native Dancer," Bill.

Happy In Bag said...

You mean... I'm not special?