Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Clare Fischer, 1928-2012




















Well aware that it's overused, I tend to avoid using the phrase "musicians' musician." Yet the characterization is almost unavoidable in any reference to Clare Fischer. A note from steadfast There Stands the Glass reader BGO aside, the only notifications I received about Fischer's recent passing were from musicians. Frankly, I never got it. Fischer's smooth solo albums continue to baffle me. Honestly, I have no frame of reference here.

---
D'Angelo!

---
Why does Rodrigo y Gabriela always leave me cold? The new Area 52 should be just my thing, but it seems far too slick and forced.

---
I'm sadly underwhelmed by the new album by Cloud Nothings. Really good video, though.

---
Kisses On the Bottom, Paul McCartney's new release, reminds me of those wonderful comeback albums by Alberta Hunter.

---
I know a lot of people who are very excited about the latest shenanigans of Neil Young.

---
Jumpin' Jehosafats! Vivica Genaux is in my town Friday!

---
Kansas City Click: Slow Southern Steel oozes into the Beaumont on Wednesday.

Marty Bush of Salt the Earth performs at the Beaumont's Sidecar on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: