Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bert Jansch, 1943-2011


















My first exposure to Bert Jansch was his 1990 album Sketches. My coworker, the late Dan Conn, played it when a promotional copy crossed his desk. The third track, "Poison", floored me. I've been captivated by the Scotsman's music ever since.

Jansch died last week. Rather than immersing myself in Jansch's music, I've been listening to living artists of the same ilk. It's a gross oversimplification, but Jansch was like a quieter Richard Thompson, a more muscular Nick Drake or a Scottish version of Chris Smither. I've also returned to the music of June Tabor and Roy Harper. This recent Harper appearance on BBC Breakfast is totes-awk.

A reader asked for an album recommendation. Pentangle was a bit too precious for me, so I'll suggest he start by checking out the traditional "Blackwater Slide" . If he likes what hears, I'd recommend beginning with Rosemary Lane.


---
I spent over twelve hours at Rhythm & Ribs on Saturday. Here's my synopsis.

---
I reviewed Laurie Anderson's performance at Helzberg Hall.

---
Cosign.

---
Charles Tolliver is still alive? Why is his genius being so roundly ignored?

---
Unless you intend to spend $25 on the entire Fire In My Bones compilation of raw gospel, I discourage you from grabbing the three free MP3s at the link. You'll immediately discover that you need the entire set.

---
Skateboarder Sean Malto is featured in Dutch Newman's lastest video. (Tip via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
All I want for Christmas is a Fania box set.

---
Ha ha!

---
Oh, Mac Lethal! What are we going to do with you?

---
Watch thirty wonderful minutes of Rev. John Wilkins here.

---
Pop pianist Roger Williams has died.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks for the week are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: