Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Here Comes the Water: Dengue Fever's Cannibal Courtship























Cannibal Courtship EPK

Cannibal Courtship, the new album by Dengue Fever, is good. But it's not as good as this. Or this. Or this. A deliberately kitschy homage to vintage Cambodian pop, the album is a lot of fun. Much of it, however, is just plain wacky. Even though I'm down on Cannibal Courtship, I hope I get a chance to see the band this year. I'll be the guy hollering for "Cement Slippers", my favorite song on the new album.

---
Today's new releases, in order of personal preference: Shinedown (recorded in Kansas City, 2010), Karrin Allyson, Big Scoob, Loudon Wainwright III (box set), Brandi Carlile, Musiq Soulchild, Beastie Boys, Sixx: A.M., Kelly Price, Fleet Foxes, Galactic, Tara Nevins, Jennifer Lopez and Priscilla Ahn.

---
I love the lady, but I absolutely detest Emmylou Harris' latest release. So whiny!

---
Kansas City Click: Social Distortion returns to the Beaumont Club on Tuesday.

Danzig plays the VooDoo on Wednesday.

Bob Seger, the "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" entertains at the Sprint Center on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

Gary said...

I have been captivated by their compilation "Dengue Fever Presents Electric Cambodia." It's so good. Need to dig deeper in the actual band's stuff.

Happy In Bag said...

I hadn't even known that existed. Listening now, thanks.

Gary said...

I stalk/influence the Joco Library's acquisitions. Don't know if they cringe or genuinely smile when I enter the building.