Monday, March 08, 2010

Alan Charing- Day Shift




















Clock punched.

Not every rock album can be Who's Next. Nor can every rock artist be Neil Young. I'm convinced, however, that without the earnest efforts of journeymen true believers like Alan Charing, it would be impossible to fully appreciate Pete Townshend or After the Gold Rush. In fact, I'd rather hear Charing, the former frontman of A.C. Cotton, perform in my neighborhood tavern than see Tom Petty play in an arena. Guys like Charing, Jack Logan and Alejandro Escovedo keep the music honest and accessible. Stitch, Charing's new album, isn't fashionable or groundbreaking. It's just good meat-and-potatoes rock'n'roll. And that's plenty good enough for me.

---
Because most of my friends loathe jazz, I usually go to jazz clubs alone. Please, pals, check out Brandon Draper's band covering Sunny Day Real Estate at Jardine's. It just might win you over. And I'm getting lonely.

---
Kansas City jazz veterans Ben Kynard and Sellie Truitt are featured at Plastic Sax.

---
After I heard that Mark Linkous died Saturday, I listened to Sparklehorse's Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot for the first time in years. What a great album! It combines the tormented blues of Chris Whitley with the psychedelic pop of the Flaming Lips.

---
Bossa nova star Johnny Alf has died.

---
Jazz saxophonist and Stan Kenton alumni Tony Campise died Sunday.

---
Ron Banks of the Dramatics has died.

---
Kansas City Click: The Jazz Disciples oversee Monday's jam session at the Blue Room.

No comments: