Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Maria Marquez- No Lo Digas Tu

















Gone.

An old friend called me yesterday. He was beginning to crack under the pressure imposed on him from family and work. I told him to ignore all the needy people. Had he paid me a visit, I'd hook him up with a beverage and an album by Maria Marquez. She could help him slow down. Just listen. Some have compared the Venezuelan's voice to Nina Simone's. That's fair. She manages, however, to create an entirely unique sensibility on the quiet 2001 release Eleven Love Stories.

---
Johnny Almond of the Mark-Almond band died November 18. My friend BGO noted that Almond lived in the Kansas City area for a while. It's a little before my time, so I'm only now hearing "The City". I can't believe commercial radio once played this sort of folk-jazz fusion.

---
I heard four high school bands play at a basketball tournament last night. As heard here, Schlagle was best. It was a suburban band's arrangement of "Enter Sandman", however, that blew my mind.

---
While I love pop music, I was embarrassed for myself as I watched the American Music Awards. What an unmitigated disaster!

---
The new video for Mac Lethal's "Speak Low" is outstanding.

---
When I first saw the video for "Body Language", I thought it was an "I'm On a Boat"-style parody. It's not.

---
Kansas City Click: Hidden Pictures are at the Bulldog tonight.

As noted in the previous post, Willie Clayton appears at Bodyworks Phase II on Thanksgiving.

No comments: