Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Willy DeVille, 1950-2009















Goodbye.

Garland Jeffreys. Robert Gordon. Gary U.S. Bonds. Joe Gruschecky. I discovered each of them through Bruce Springsteen. Bruce was among my favorite performers during my formative years. I accumulated albums by artists with any kind of affiliation with the star. That's how I discovered Willy DeVille, or more precisely, Mink DeVille, his band at the time. Although DeVille never developed more than a cult following in the United States, it's certainly not because he wasn't worthy of wider recognition. Just check, for instance, the credits on Victory Mixture. It's loaded with stars of soul, blues, funk and the New Orleans sound- Wayne Bennett, Eddie Bo, Dr. John, Leo Nocentelli and Allen Toussaint play on the 1990 date. DeVille died August 6.

---
I take no pleasure in throwing a miniscule wrench in the marketing machinery, but watching a crass sales pitch for The Beatles: Rock Band on a home shopping channel Sunday night made me nauseous.

---
I identify the single most encouraging moment of 2009 on the Kansas City jazz scene over at Plastic Sax.

---
I encountered The Kansas City Bear Fighters for the first time last week. I can't wait to catch these oddballs again.

---
Kansas City Click: Consider the Source and Mouth get jammy Tuesday at the Czar Bar.

No comments: