Friday, August 21, 2009

Jim Dickinson, 1941-2009















Farewell.

"I got a honky tonk heart and a juke box brain," Calvin Russell sings. "I got the rock and roll rhythm flowing in my veins."

Russell might have written that line specifically for Jim Dickinson, the producer of his excellent 1999 album Sam. Russell explains his career in this remarkable video.

Dickinson's list of credits reads like the soundtrack to the Saturday night of my dreams. The Flamin' Groovies. The Rolling Stones. Toots & the Maytals. Big Star. Bob Dylan. Tav Falco. Furry Lewis. Mudhoney. The Texas Tornados. The Replacements. Joe "King" Carrasco. Green On Red. Aretha Franklin. He even produced two of my favorite surprises of recent years, Lucero's Nobody's Darlings and the Tarbox Ramblers' Fix Back East.

Dickinson died August 15.

---
Kanye West is pushing There Stands the Glass favorite and my fellow Kansan XV at his blog.

---
In her blog at MySpace, Kansas City, Kansas, resident Marva Whitney announced today that her "first solo show in New York in 40 years" will take place on September 26. How about a gig here, Marva?

---
Maybe I should try to hitch a ride to next weekend's Nebraska Pop Festival with the Transmittens.

---
Kansas City Click: I don't think it's supposed to be a secret show, but Dave Alvin's Friday gig at the Folly Theater sure seems that way.

Lakeside will take the audience at Saturday's Soul Food Festival at Parade Park on a "Fantastic Voyage".

Lawrence pop masters Mammoth Life perform at the Record Bar on Sunday.

3 comments:

Jason Harper said...

Among Cyprus Avenue listeners, that show is no secret.

Happy In Bag said...

I can imagine, JH. I knew I wanted to mention this gig, but it wasn't listed on Alvin's sites or at the big ticket exchanges. I finally found it mentioned in the tiniest font imaginable at the Folly's site, but the "purchase ticket" link didn't work. Shhh!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Nice blog.
BTW , I was searching for online music store and found out that
Rockhouse has more than 5
million music records.The
site is easy to use.Search is excellent and rates are quite
competitive compare to other stores.

Thanks,