Tuesday, May 19, 2009

NRBQ- Things We Like To Do















Liked no more.

What's wrong with me? Not once has NRBQ been mentioned at There Stands the Glass. Everything I love about the hipster's version of the Grateful Dead is evident on this childlike goof from an out-of-print 1982 live date. NRBQ is a cult band for a reason. But weirdos who've listened to way too much music the discriminating few who love both Sun Ra's mysticism and Jonathan Richman's innocence, as well as fans of current bands Dr. Dog and Delta Spirit, will appreciate the carefree glee and expert musicianship of NRBQ. Here's a bit of corresponding video footage.

---
Buddy Montgomery and Wayman Tisdale passed away on May 15.

---
Dolla is dead.

---
As much as I love the sense of community provided by Blip.fm, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist forsaking it for Napster's new $5 a month plan.

---
Road trip to St. Louis? "Vintage Vinyl is partnering up with Meat Puppets and Pabst Blue Ribbon to host a special Thursday happy hour listening party & grill session with the band! The band won't be performing at Vintage Vinyl but there will be tasty free Pabst Blue Ribbon, tasty free BBQ and some extra tasty (not free) music as the Meat Puppets hang out, sign autographs and grill at Vintage Vinyl! The grilling party begins at 6:00PM on May 28th." Who's in?

---
I have a new favorite concert of the year. Esperanza Spalding was incredible Saturday. Here's my review.

---
Kansas City Click: Dan Bliss is part of tonight's "Guitar Extravaganza" at Jardine's.

8 comments:

bigsteveno said...

You set me off on about an hour's worth of NRBQ youtubing. Thank you.

Happy In Bag said...

Nice! Let me know if you find a good video of "In My Car." I could only find a recent Al Anderson version.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Dog's song, "MY FRIEND" from their new "Fate" c.d. is on the new TV movie trailer for the new Adam Sandler movie coming out in July.

Dr. Dog said...

Thanks Adam!

bgo said...

Ever since Al split something is lacking, namely Al.

Happy In Bag said...

Groovy news, Anon! And good look with that, Dr. Dog!

Big Al's solo albums are pretty great, BGO.

bgo said...

I was hip to Al's first solo record on Vanguard long before he replaced Steve Ferguson in NRBQ. Damn I feel old today.

Anonymous said...

I miss
Steve Ferguson..he made the Q a little bit better...