Friday, April 24, 2009

Mack Allen Smith- Mean Ole Frisco














Mean no more.

I don't yet own the new compilation The Early Years: 1962-1967 (a first for a title featured at There Stands the Glass), but I just couldn't wait to post Mack Allen Smith's version of"Mean Ole Frisco." On the surface, it's just another Elvis Presley-inspired bit of hillbilly pop, but there's something about the achingly sincere and nakedly aspirational performance that I find deeply moving. The talented journeyman has also written a couple books, including the fictional Honky Tonk Addict. A YouTube search on Smith turns up a fun novelty tune and a decent countrypolitan cover of "It's Only Make Believe."

---
I watched The Heartbreak Kid last night. Call me a simpleton if you must- I really liked it. The use of music in this scene is my favorite bit. The look on Ben Stiller's face at :45- keep in mind that he just married this woman- encapsulates the often awful moment of clarity that can only be provided by music.

---
This remarkable short film makes excellent use of a piece by E.S.T., the late Esbjorn Svensson's group.

---
Kansas City Click: The mighty, mighty Architects begin a two-night stand at The Czar Bar Friday.

Heartless Bastards support The Gaslight Anthem Saturday at The Beaumont Club.

The Wild Women of Kansas City return to Jardine's on Sunday.

(Photo courtesy of The Mississippi Arts Commission.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

The MAS reissue looks like a fun trip back in time.

I am so old that I remember the original The Heartbreak Kid with Charles Grodin. It was the better of the two flicks.