Friday, February 13, 2009

Betty Elder- Cowboys















Faded.

The subject of SXSW came up at last night's Twestival charity event. I've attended the annual conference in Austin about a dozen times. That admission inspired awe in a relative youngster. What he didn't understand is that SXSW once had a very different vibe. It wasn't always about Glasvegas, Iggy Pop and Blitzen Trapper. SXSW began as a regional roots-based festival. The first year I attended (was it 1989?) I caught almost nothing but folk, blues, outlaw country, tejano and root-rock acts. Artists like Betty Elders abounded. This song is pulled from a 1996 SXSW promo compilation. The gradual transition to an indie-rock orientation upset the old guard. The shift didn't bother me but I could do without the increased hassle factor.

---
Stik Figa Goes To College. That's what I would have titled the supposed final Stik Figa EP. Instead, it's named Babylon. It's available for download at Ill Roots. "Well its official...," the Topekan suggested in a recent blog post. "im takin' my black ass back to school come fall, cant believe i wasted so much time with this rap sh*t."

---
I love Blayney's. The staff is cool and the dingy bat-cave vibe has always appealed to me. Yet I rarely go there because the blooze band-oriented booking policy doesn't interest me. Even so, this report is quite upsetting.

---
Kansas City Click: Frank Ace plays the blues tonight at B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ.

B.B. King and Buddy Guy perform at the Midland on Valentine's Day.

Maze returns to Municipal Auditorium on Sunday.

No comments: