Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Jerry Reed, 1937-2008

















Farewell.

It should come as no surprise to There Stands the Glass readers to hear I've always been a music nerd. I recall toting a little transistor radio around even before I entered elementary school. Like all kids then and now, I couldn't resist novelty songs. I loved the goofy hits of Ray Stevens, Bobby Bare, Jim Stafford and Jerry Reed. (Heck yeah, I was a country boy.) "Amos Moses" and "When You're Hot, You're Hot" were touchstone songs of my childhood. Of course, there was a lot more to Reed than the cartoonish redneck persona portrayed on "East Bound and Down" and "U.S. Male." "Nervous Breakdown" shows a different side of the talented star. It's on this essential compilation. Reed died Monday.

----
It seems so unlikely. Peter Hammill is scheduled to appear at the Cashew on October 4!

---
Kansas City Click: I often feel I'm the only pop music fan in the Kansas City area who has yet to swoon over The Republic Tigers' "Buildings & Mountains." Maybe I'll get it if I attend their free show tonight on the Power & Light stage.

4 comments:

Nuke said...

Looked up info on him when I heard, and I had forgotten how much of my youth he was on the soundtrack for.

We got a gold mine of entertainment from Jerry, here's to hoping he didn't get the shaft.

Happy In Bag said...

Good one, Nuke!

Anonymous said...

I will never forget seeing Jerry Reed standing on the back of a flatbed truck, warming up as he prepared to be pulled out to center stage of the American Royal arena, circa 1973-4. That was the moment when I understood the concept of echo, reverb and a souped-up guitar! RIP, Jerry.

Happy In Bag said...

That's too cool, Rick!