Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Southern Sons- Above My Head, I Hear Music In the Air

















No more music.

Apropos of absolutely nothing other than my desire to hear America's greatest sounds, here's a song recorded 67 years and twenty days ago. The Southern Sons are largely forgotten today. This vital compilation is out of print, but a handful of Southern Sons songs are available as MP3s here.

---
There's all kinds of exciting rock action from Kansas City:

*"Any Moment Now," the new single from Koufax, is a marvel. They deliberately evoke Morphine (the "cure for pain" lyric is no accident) while exhibiting Spoon-style ambition. Fantastic!

*The new video by Reggie and the Full Effect amuses me.

*As disclosed by my pals at the Pitch, the new Architects video is now available for public viewing.

*Kansas City, Kansas, native Janelle Monae is confusing me. Is her new release the first in a series of EPs? Is the "special edition" with a bonus CD worth the extra money? Should I wait for a proper full length? So complicated...

---
Kansas City Click: Southerly and Antennas Up are among the artists joining There Stands the Glass interview victim Adam Marsland at the Record Bar this evening.

3 comments:

Northing said...

Don't stay up nights waiting on a Jonelle Monae full-length. it will just be the same swill as the ep - badly over-produced Broadway-via-comiccon roosterfish (Neither fish nor fowl). It ain't rock, it ain't hip-hop, it ain't music. Her possibly fine voice is buried in Beyonce-isms. And I hate Beyonce. Do I sound as bitterly disappointed as I feel? Betrayed by Paste magazine, the lame replacement for No Depression. forget this crap and have abetter day!

Happy In Bag said...

I love everything about your comment, Northing- especially the Comic-Con reference. I'll take your distaste for JM to heart, but for the record, I adore Beyonce...

Russell said...

Sounds like great music to me.

I agree that it doesn't belong to a specific genre, though. That's a positive, IMO.