Sunday, August 10, 2008

Isaac Hayes, 1942-2008






















Farewell.

Isaac Hayes did not look well when he performed in Kansas City nine months ago. I wrote the following in my review of his VooDoo Lounge show: While he made a valiant effort and provided many wonderful moments, the 65-year-old soul legend seemed distressingly frail. I'm deeply saddened- but not surprised- that one of my musical heroes died today. Rather than posting one of Hayes' familiar Stax hits, I've selected the spoken word opening track from 1995's fine Branded as a fitting sendoff. Thanks, Ike.

















(Original images by There Stands the Glass. Additional pictures are posted with the linked review.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

When I was a kid Isaac Hayes and David Porter won me over with their brilliant songwriting and arranging for Stax/Volt Records. The first time I heard Ike's version of By The Time I Get To Phoenix late at night on a cheap clock radio, it was a revelation. No time to fill in the details because I am truly mourning his passing.

Happy In Bag said...

His contributions are so vast, BGO, that I didn't even begin to list them. I concur- this one hurts.