Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gerald Wiggins, 1922-2008

















Farewell, Mr. Wiggins.

"Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe" encapsulates Gerald Wiggins' career. Just when it appears that the pianist will get an opportunity to elaborate on his elegant background support with a solo of his own, date leader Red Holloway takes another breathe and extends his monologue. Wiggins was surely accustomed to it. Although his trio achieved acclaim, he's best known for his association with artists ranging from Louis Armstrong to Marilyn Monroe. He's heard here from a wonderful out of print 1989 session. Wiggins died Sunday. (Tip via BGO.)

---
I caught the 311, Snoop Dogg and Fiction Plane tour last week. My review is here.

---
I had the highest of expectations for the new Nas and the Hold Steady albums. I'm slightly underwhelmed by both. I trust they're growers.

---
A friend just tipped me to Esperanza Spalding. Whoa!

---
Kansas City Click: An email sent by Roger Wilder contains two reasons to attend his gig at the Blue Room tonight: "Jazz is good; plus, there's no cover."

No comments: