Thursday, July 24, 2008

Al Grey- Grey Rose Shore

















Bye bye, Bobby.

My friend BGO hurt my feelings by once characterizing There Stands the Glass as "the obituary site." That's part of the reason I've delayed noting the passing of jazz drummer Bobby Durham. But as there's still not a single mention of Durham at either of the two primary music blog aggregators, I feel obligated to give the man some attention. Durham gets plenty of solo space on this track from the out-of-print 1995 date Me n' Jack. "Me" is the late trombonist Al Grey, and Jack, of course, is organist Jack McDuff.

---
And the death toll continues to mount- I just heard that jazz guitarist Joe Beck died.

---
A profile in East Bay Express alerted me to The Bayliens. They're a little too Black Eyed Peas-ish for my taste, but these guys sure sound like the next big thing.

---
I tried to watch KeAnthony's A Hustlaz Story on BET last night. The vocalist impressed me in his brief opening slot for Tech N9ne and T.I. a few weeks ago, but he's no actor.

---
Big rock show of the year alert: Motorhead, the Misfits, Airbourne, Valient Thorr and Year Long Disaster have announced thirteen North American dates. One of them is in Kansas City on September 7.

---
Kansas City Click: The excellent Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are back in town tonight. They open at Crossroads for moe. one of only a handful of There Stands the Glass-endorsed jam bands.

No comments: