Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Don Patterson- Under the Boardwalk

















The boardwalk is closed.

Ozzie Cadena is one of those names only familiar to obsessive readers of liner notes. The longtime industry professional's name appears on hundreds of titles, primarily on dates for the Prestige and Savoy labels. Originally released in 1964 as Hip Cake Walk, this Cadena production is available on an excellent reissue. (Thanks to BGO for the tip.)

---
Oh no! Sean Costello died earlier this month. He was 28. I may have this all wrong, but I recall seeing him share a stage with Hubert Sumlin and Elvis Costello at Antone's during SXSW three or four years back. Costello was also booked to perform at Kansas City juke joint Knuckleheads next month.

---
I'm having a blast watching vintage videos by the likes of Slick Rick, De La Soul, Coolio, Queen Latifah, NWA and Common Sense on this month's rebroadcasts of Yo! MTV Raps.

---
Tech N9ne is giving it away here. (Kind of.)

---
Kansas City Click: Good ol' Tater & the Gravy Train serve as a premium honky tonk jukebox at Harry's tonight.

3 comments:

bgo said...

What a sad thing to hear about the passing of Sean Costello. I wasn't the biggest of fan, but I thought he was a great talent.

And picking Don Patterson was a fitting tribute to the late Mr. Cadenza.

Keep up the good job you are doing here.

Happy In Bag said...

...and I received word today that Al "Show and Tell" Wilson has also passed.

Thanks for the encouragement, BGO.

bgo said...

My wife Angie told me about Al Wilson passing last night. Asked me if I knew about him. Said sho thing. I love "The Snake".

Droppin' like flies anymore it seems.