Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Gonzalo Rubalcaba- Preludio Proyecto Latino

















Thinking of Cuba in silence.

The combination of the insightful profile in Sunday's New York Times and the glimmer of hope that arrived yesterday for the people of Cuba compels me to offer this post focusing on Gonzalo Rubalcaba. The 44-year-old Cuban expatriate's Avatar was released earlier this month. The pianist's stunning technical proficiency is on display in this solo piece from the out-of-print Mi Gran Pasion. The 1987 date was his first official session as a leader. It's frightening to consider that he's expanded his formidable talent even further in the intervening 21 years.

---
As I indicated in my previous post, I was floored by Kid Rock's effort Sunday. Yet it might not have been the best show I caught last weekend. The Redwalls' Friday gig was also wonderful. My review is here.

---
And on Saturday I was one of two dozen people in the audience for Mark Olson at Davey's Uptown Rambler's Club. Here's a two-minute sample of his performance. It ended very awkwardly as fans of metal act Red Line Chemistry began arriving for the bar's late show. The rockers were in no mood for Olson's rootsy songs. It was an extraordinarily uncomfortable clash of cultures.

---
Kansas City Click: Kentucky's People Noise are tonight's headliners at the Record Bar.

No comments: