Thursday, January 17, 2008

Original Kilimambogo Stars- Mama Sheria

















The music's over.

Like the rest of the world, I've watched the escalating violence in Kenya with horror. While I can't bear to see the terrible images of machete-wielding mobs, I was fascinated by this footage of gorgeous Kenyan reporter Zain Verjee getting struck by a tear gas canister yesterday.

I have yet to visit Africa, but the shimmering pop music from Nairobi makes me feel an affinity for the place. This compilation has long been one of my go-to discs when I need a sudden jolt of infectious joy. The informative liner notes detail the tribal connections of the O.K.B. Stars, but I feel that getting into that area would only reinforce the seemingly petty infighting instigated by the lack of institutional integrity.

Let's hope for the best.

---
I've been digging Jason Crest and the dozens of other '60s psychedelic rock bands that now stream their forgotten music at MySpace. These groovy guys seem like a wackier version of the Moody Blues.

---
Kansas City Click: It's unlikely that many people will make the slippery drive to Knuckleheads to catch Hamilton Loomis tonight, but it's almost certain to be a great time.

No comments: