Sunday, January 27, 2008

Adrian Juarez- Ya No Vendra Tu Ombligo a Tomarnos La Congoja

















Adrian Juarez- Ya No Vendra Tu Ombligo a Tomarnos La Congoja

It's a good thing I don't consume drugs. The extraordinary Mars Volta concert I reviewed Friday night might have altered my DNA if I hadn't been entirely sober. It was the kind of show that can profoundly impact a person's relationship to music. Accordingly, I was compelled to turn to something entirely new.

I've always been wary of electronic-based music on net labels, but I feel I've uncovered a real jewel in Adrian Juarez. As the Argentine explores a number of styles- tango, dream pop, Cage-ish experimentation and dramatic Morricone-inspired soundscapes- there's no such thing as a representative piece. The haunting composition I feature here feels like a peaceful deathbed reverie.

His MySpace is a good place to beginning exploring Juarez' work, as is this evocative video.

---
I encountered traditional British vocalist Rachel Unthank on a folk radio show yesterday. What a find! This fan video captures some of the magic.

---
Kansas City Click: The Louis Neal Big Band plays at the Blue Room tonight.

No comments: