Thursday, October 25, 2007

Steve Wariner- A Six Pack Ago

















Empty.

When he ruled the country roost in the '80s, Steve Wariner wowed both country music diehards and unsuspecting pop music audiences with his strong vocals and prowess as a guitarist. Today, it's routine for country stars like Brad Paisley to play lead guitar while prancing about like Mick Jagger. It's a far cry from the statue-like stage personas of Haggard, Wiliams, Nelson and Jones. In this post-Garth Brooks era, of course, it's practically mandatory for Nashville cats to do it all. And Wariner did it all first. This mighty fine barroom weeper is from his 1998 Burnin' the Roadhouse Down comeback album.

---
While in a retail environment for a couple hours earlier this week, I heard the usual innocuous pop music pumped through the store's Muzak-supplied system- The Supremes, Huey Lewis, Lifehouse, Destiny's Child and the like. I didn't mind; I often catch myself singing along. Then something unexpected happened. Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" popped up in the mix. Even though I've heard the song hundreds of times, it completely devastated me in this unexpected context. As I teared up, I couldn't decide if the music programmer should be fired or given a raise.

---
Kansas City Click: Try The Kelihans at the Gaf tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a nice surprise to walk into my local watering hole and hear some good Irish music playing. It's great to hear some actual Irish music at an Irish bar ulike some other so called pubs on the Plaza that I'll leave unnamed.

Happy In Bag said...

I like both the Gaf and the Plaza place, although they're obviously totally different environments.