Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ronnie Milsap- Old Habits Are Hard To Break

















Broken.

As I began to prepare a mid-year survey post for this site, I ranked the most memorable live performances of the dozens of acts I've seen so far in 2007. Amazingly, Ronnie Milsap's effort opening for George Strait ranks near the top. I had expected the former star to be washed up. Boy, was I wrong. As I wrote at the time, it was as if Elvis was still alive. This is a John Hiatt song from the out-of-print Back To the Grindstone. Since it's clearly a throw-away number, Milsap feels free to invest it with a loose, swampy vocal.

---
Uh oh. I didn't sense a rush to pick up the Kelly Clarkson at retail today. It's too bad- I like the girl.

---
I swooned when I heard "Change of Heart" for the first time in at least five years yesterday. Man, it's hard to believe that Petty once ruled the rock world.

---
Kansas City Click: Sara Borges, a tough honky tonk angel, is at Knuckleheads tonight.

No comments: