Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Priestess- The Shakes

















Still.

I was both surprised and pleased to discover that Priestess have a track on Surf's Up. The soundtrack for the animated movie was released yesterday. It's a unlikely mix of predictable material ("What I Like About You") and inspired genius (Bob Wills). I saw Priestess open for Zakk Wylde a few months ago. While the heavy Canadian band didn't exactly win the rough crowd over, they managed not to come under physical attack- a real possibility with the surly audience. Priestess' Hello Master is a uniformly excellent but wildly varied mix of old-school metal, stoner rock and Nuggets-inspired garage trash.

---
I can't imagine Merle Haggard watching GAC's new program about the planning of Kenny Chesney's summer tour without smashing his television. Although I applaud the effort country stars are making in catching up with the showmanship of their rock counterparts, Chesney's obviously not allowing for a moment of spontaneity in his shows. The documentary offers fascinating insights into a very odd mindset.

---
Yesterday's big new releases in my little niche of music retail world are Rihanna, T-Pain and Carl Thomas.

---
The vocals on "Underdog," the new song by Spoon that's floating around, sound uncannily like Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy. It's wonderful.

---
I'm digging jazz drummer Kendrick Scott's new music.

---
Kansas City Click: It makes me so happy to see that the brilliant Brother Ali is in MTV's rotation. He's at the Record Bar tonight.

No comments: