Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Lloyd Cole- To the Lions

















The lions have been fed.

I've been looking forward to tonight's Camera Obscura show for weeks. The title of the Scottish band's best known song, Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken, refers to Lloyd Cole. I'm also a Cole fan, although I must admit that his debut, Rattlesnakes, remains my favorite. Even so, the out-of-print Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe from 1991 has some strong material, including "To the Lions." Geeks will want to know that Cole is backed here by a trio of punk and post-punk all-stars- Robert Quine, Matthew Sweet and Fred Maher.

---
I predict that casual observers will be surprised by the high chart debut of Jason Michael Carroll next week. Women couldn't wait to buy his CD at my retail job this morning. If you don't know about the dude, you haven't listened to country radio lately. "Alyssa Lies" owns the format, at least in this part of the country. I never change the weeper when it comes on, because I admire its brazen inversion of the riff from "Tuesday's Gone," my favorite Lynyrd Skynryd song.

---
Kansas City Click: Join me at the Record Bar for the delightfully dour Scottish pop of Camera Obscura. Odd Canadians Pony Up open.

No comments: