Monday, February 12, 2007

Judy Holliday- What'll I Do?

















Done.

I was sorry to hear about the premature passing of the famous blonde bombshell. Judy Holliday, one of her predecessors in that category, has long been a favorite of mine. She too died young. The highlight of her career was her Oscar-winning performance in the movie Born Yesterday. This documentary clip provides a glimpse of her brilliance. Holliday also had a minor recording career. 1958's Trouble Is a Man demonstrates that while Holliday didn't have a great voice, her phrasing and emotive skills were excellent. This Irving Berlin song is a typical selection from the lush strings album.

---
I'm an unapologetic viewer of the Grammy Awards. Last night's broadcast kept me entertained. I've had my eye on the Dixie Chicks for a long time. That doesn't mean I like their Taking the Long Way. To my ears, it's equivalent to the Rascal Flatts cover of the Eagles' song last night. Even so, congratulations ladies. I was more amused by Burt Bacharach gone wild. And predictably, Gnarls Barkley's ultra-slow performance was stellar.

---
Guitarist Ronald Muldrow has died.

---
Kansas City Click: Try The Blue Room.

No comments: