Friday, February 23, 2007

Bad Livers- Precious Time

















Time's up.

Kansas musician Kirk Rundstrom died yesterday. My friend Tim wrote a wonderful tribute to the man. Kirk is seen to good effect with Split Lip Rayfield in this live performance near Lawrence. Unlike many people I know, I never fell madly in love with the band. My punk-bluegrass heart belongs to the Bad Livers. I'll let this song from their Delusions of Banjer serve as a tribute to Kirk.

---
Two drummers have also passed. Ian Wallace died yesterday. He played with everyone from King Crimson to Rodney Crowell. Charles Gocher of the Sun City Girls died February 19. I once had a dormitory neighbor from Arizona who claimed the Sun City Girls as his favorite band. That was a rough summer.

---
Kansas City Click: Many of the region's best indie-rock bands are on the festival-style lineup Friday and Saturday night at The Record Bar for Oxblood Records' debut release party. I'm especially excited about the chance to see the Pedaljets again. Ambitious folk-popper Joel Kraft plays Prospero's Books on Sunday evening.

2 comments:

Don't Need Anything said...

im thinkin' of heading out to that saturday night show at the record bar. i dont think you could ask for more from a local line up that youre gonna get at that show...

Happy In Bag said...

Yeah, man. I really like Ghosty, too; they play Friday.