Friday, January 26, 2007

Andy Summers- Self Portrait In Three Colors

















Off color.

The Police, huh? Like millions of other grizzled geeks, I have so many stories related to the band. My best tale revolves around seeing them in '78 with a 15-year-old girl I met in Denver hours before the show. The mere recollection of that night quickens my pulse and, well... I'll leave the rest to your imagination. If I catch the impending reunion tour this summer, it won't be entirely about nostalgia for teenage kicks. I also want to admire Andy Summers' guitar work. He's issued a series of creative ambient and jazz albums, including the out-of-print Peggy's Blue Skylight. It's a bold remodeling of twelve Charles Mingus compositions. I suspect that this is the exact sound Joni Mitchell has been chasing for much of her career.

---
Here's a mildly shocking fact- Summers is 64 years old.

---
I can't decide if the ARChive project is utter insanity or the coolest thing ever. Watch this video and decide for yourself. The ridiculously great The Driftwood Singers Present blog uncovered this video yesterday.

2 comments:

Don't Need Anything said...

64!? no way!
i heard a radio interview with him a couple of months ago and you could tell he still REALLY loves the old Police tracks and would love to play em again.
i sure would pay a hell of a lot of money to see em if they came thru here...or anywhere close.

WLIB said...

That's gorgeous!

Summers also published a memoir last year, One Train Later.