Monday, December 18, 2006

Sphere- Uncle Bubba



















I saw jazz pianist Kenny Barron perform Friday night. As I indicate in this review, I wasn't entirely pleased with the concert. While at least one reader disagrees with my assessment, I submit this video of Barron's drummer Francisco Mela as Exibit A in my defense. While Barron is among the most elegant of jazz musicians, I prefer the edgier side he displayed with Sphere, the Thelonious Monk tribute band, as heard on this Gary Bartz composition from the group's self-titled out-of-print recording from 1998.

---
Does anybody else remember Skafish? Not only is the new-wave oddball still around, he has a new jazz trio Christmas CD! My pal Lee featured this most unlikely of albums on the radio yesterday.

---
Kenny Davern died on December 12. He was 71. The clarinetist is heard to good effect on this 1977 video.

No comments: