Tuesday, December 26, 2006

James Brown, 1933-2006

















Make it funky.

Oh, man. I'm supposed to be at work right now. But it wasn't until I opened this morning's newspaper that I heard the news. James Brown died Christmas morning. He was 73. There's little need for me to recount his accomplishments or impact in this space. He was a giant. Brown played a well-received performance in my town on September 14 of this year. I was at another show. I saw Brown only a couple times- from a distance at a festival and at a lackluster 1993 concert. I'm not the first person to suggest that "Mother Popcorn" is one of the great artistic achievements of the last century. A few months ago I put this song on repeat for a couple hours. Its complexity and mystery only deepened with each listen. That statement might also apply to the entirety of The Godfather's personal and musical life.

No comments: