Friday, November 10, 2006

Womack & Womack- MPB (Missing Person's Bureau)



















M.I.A.

I annoyed at least one reader of Shot of Rhythm by suggesting that John Legend might be in the (my word) "cheesy" tradition of Lionel Ritchie. While thinking about other '80s soul artists in the love ballad tradition I was reminded of the wonderful Conscience by Womack & Womack. If you're reading this, you probably know that Cecil is Bobby's brother and that his wife Linda is Sam Cooke's daughter. They lived up to that musical legacy for a while. And look- Legend has "P.D.A." and the Womacks have "M.P.B."

---
Here's a stunning deep soul obscurity by Joe Perkins.

---
Does anyone outside of Kansas City remember the Rainmakers? Here they are at the pinnacle of their popularity.

3 comments:

bgo said...

I wish I still had a copy of the W&W record, and I think I have the previous one still around on vinyl. I loved this stuff and thank you for bringing some light back to it.

your pal,

m&s

Don't Need Anything said...

i think this is WAY cheesier than john legends record.

Happy In Bag said...

Then pass the crackers, DNA. I'm dancing on the ceiling!