Thursday, November 09, 2006

Tommy Jarrell- Tempie Roll Down Your Bangs



















Tempie's gone.

Tommy Jarrell was among the old amateur Southern musicians "discovered" by musicologists in the '60s. Venerable County Records arranges many of his well-recorded sessions thematically. Volume 3 focuses on the "banjer." I don't understand the business about the mole in this song (is it a political statement, a sexual reference or just an underdog sentiment?), but I'm smart enough to recognize brilliance when I hear it.

---
This brief Alan Lomax promo spot features a few seconds of Jarrell doing his thing. The shape singers at the opening of this clip are also remarkable.

---
I'm all too familiar with what will be forever known as "The Faith Hill" expression. I evoke that reaction with disarming frequency.

No comments: