Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Tarika- Allo Cheri



















Goodbye.

I've been under Tarika's spell for over a decade. The forward-thinking Madagascar roots band is never less than delightful. On this playful song from 2001's Soul Makassar, Rasoanaivo Hanitrarivo turns down an offer to move to North America. "I wouldn't want to be fat," she sings.

---
I know everyone's desperate to know how I'd vote in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot. In this order, I'd go with R.E.M., Joe Tex, Chic, the Stooges and Patti Smith. That means that the Ronettes, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Van Halen and the Dave Clark Five would miss the cut.

---
If I dismissed my self-imposed rules that limit my postings to the esoteric, this blog might resemble Shot of Rhythm. He and I share the same penchangt for populist musics.

No comments: