Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Cordero- Maria Elisa



















The girl is gone.

On paper, Cordero's En Este Momento should have been my favorite release of 2005. It had so much going for it- a girl singing in Spanish, a horn section, an intriguing genre-bending fusion and a tasteful record label. Alas, it's just not as good as I'd hoped. A typical track, "Maria Elisa" is pretty good, but it could have been so much more.

---
It's been over five years since I set foot inside the Mutual Musicians Foundation in Kansas City. It's increasingly difficult for me to be out past two in the morning for their wee-hour jam sessions. I'm weak that way. Now with the news that the venue will have no fuel available to keep me going, there's even less incentive to attend.

---
I haven't been in a strip joint in a long time, either. But now I'm tempted. Lemmy Kilmister was on a local radio station this morning promoting this weekend's Motorhead gig. He told the DJ that he'd be for a couple days ahead of the show and asked for guidance on local strip joints. The idea of sitting in a den of sin next to Lemmy holds enormous appeal to me. I wonder if I should try the Shady Lady, Bazookas or Temptations first...

No comments: